I got mine a couple weeks ago from Tri State, I noticed they were selling some on e-bay-buy now- so I went to their web site and there they were, about $40 usd cheaper. I ordered and the DS was on my door step 3 working days later.

DG

At 03:29 PM 3/3/2006 +0000, you wrote:
                                        > Hi guys,
> For my birthday my parents gave me (as well as a Manfrotto 190CL) a
> certificate to an *IstDS. Zaweee! (You should have seen my face when I
> opened that card.) So I have a few questions.
> 1) Do you have any recommendations of places I should look? (There are
> some on e-bay but there doesn't seem to be that many big retailers
> listing it)

I think they are getting harder to find now.

> 2) I can't stomach the idea of having an f3.5-5.6 lens as my only
> normal/wide, so do you know of a faster wide (20mm or so) that I could
> get for a similar price?
> 3) How much memory will I need to store 100 or so RAWs?

I have 3 1 gig Kingston Cards and i beleive they hold 90 Raws. Oh wait. I have the D and
it uses CF
cards not SD cards.
Belay that order.

> 4) given that I don't have a insurance plan that I could tack "chattels"
> on to, how could I (affordably) insure it against dropping it over board
> and other such human error?

Stay away from Tom Van Veen for one.<g>

> 5) Is there anything else that I should know? :-)

Use lith's or good rechargable batteries.