On Mar 3, 2006, at 11:42 PM, K.Takeshita wrote:

My initial post on this, which was based on the post by a Pentax lens
designer in Japan explicitly said that Pentax either give the optical design to Tokina or vice versa, but there is NO joint development of the spec.
Component wise, either one packages other's optical design.  Tokina's
statement is somewhat confusing to me, but they are also clear that this is
not an OEM arrangement.  So far, I do not think any optical specs were
"jointly" developed. It appears that they take either design. But I can
confirm it later.
Thanks Ken :-) I think we got too many various sometimes misleading informations related to Pentax future that it is often tough to identify who what when how, especially that most of interesting info is in Japanese and most of us don't speak it (I think the main problem isn't language by itself but rather your alphabet - while beautiful visually - difficult to understand by Western cultures - thankfully some of us can read Cyryllic and texts in Russian ;-) Anyway it is good to have you here :-)

I never said that DFA Macros were developed by Tokina. They were developed by Pentax, but FA Macros were so expensive to make and Pentax were losing
money for each of those sold.  I posted this info some months ago.
Their solution was to give the lens optical spec to Tokina, and Tokina in turn packaged it to produce the more competitive products while keeping the same performance (thus the change from metal barrel to plastic, for one
thing? :-).
Sorry, its friday and I'm too tired after week :-) You are right, you were writing that optical formulation was designed by Pentax (including exclusive FREE). Anyway DFA 100 macro is really much cheaper than older FA version at least here in Europe - it is now cheaper than Nikon's and Minolta's equivalents but still at the same price leevel as Canon's (how do they do it???).
Thanks again for all your help Ken :-)

--
Best regards
Sylwek