>I recall having problems getting Win98SE to work with external drives. I
>don't think it was designed to utilize them.

Right. Win98SE needs a specific driver provided my the drive (or
camera) manufacturer.

As I recall, Pentax does not support Windows 98. But maybe the problem is with Sandisk? Try Sandisk's web site to see if they have posted anything about the problem.

Ultimately Windows 98 is less and less able to handle gadgets coming out now. About 10 months ago I threw in the towel, reformatted my drive, and installed Windows XP. Everything now works, except that I still don't have photo printing back to where I had it before. But that's another story.

Joe