On Mar 5, 2006, at 1:57 PM, mike wilson wrote:

David Mann wrote:

On Mar 5, 2006, at 11:58 AM, Bob Shell wrote:
migratory thrush (Turdus migratorius)
That has to be about the funniest Latin name I've ever seen.
- Dave the 10-year-old
You'll probably like this, also, then.

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/sillymolecules/sillymols.htm

Some of the most difficult creatures to identify with certainty are the microlepidoptera, very tiny moths. There is one series of genera with the names Perplexa, Vexata, Exasperata and Damnifica. All were named by entomologist J.F. Gates Clarke to express his mood at the time of attempting to classify them.

When I worked at the Smithsonian Institution many years ago we had a jokester who used to create weird bugs and slip them into the collection. One notable example of his work was a large beetle carved from plastic that we found in one of the collection drawers one day. It's label read Staphylinus styrofoamus.

Bob