Lightroom is all about workflow: Data Assets Management integrated with RAW conversion. It's not an RGB editing tool, although if all your editing happens in the RAW conversion stage it could be.

You can do B&W conversion in Camera Raw too. Bruce Fraser talks about it in "Real World Camera Raw...". I've played with it a little, but I prefer my technique which works in RGB space post RAW conversion. Lightroom packages/automates some of the possible manipulations, however, and could prove advantageous.

Godfrey

On Mar 14, 2006, at 6:38 AM, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

Hmmm ... that sounds very nice - at least the possibility sounds nice.
Marco mentioned that he liked the B&W conversion, but I don't recall him mentioning that the conversion could be done at the RAW stage. Converting during import is a nice option. I assume that feature can be turned off,
or that the DNG files can be put in a user selected directory?

Shel

[Original Message]
From: Sylwester Pietrzyk

While not a replacement for final retouching in Photoshop, it is a great replacement for raw converting and photos managmenet applications. It has most of functions found in Adobe RAW Converter + some ready to go sets of
effects like converting to B&W at RAW stage.

[...]

And it has an option to do RAW -> DNG converting during photos
import too.