It's not really a flare issue with the lens though... the flare is a factor of the way it was used, right? IOW, any lens will exhibit a degree of flare under the right circumstances.

In this case I would guess holding a hand up on the sunward side of the lens might have eliminated the flare, and of course a deeper lens hood (or maybe just totally circular) would have done the same.

Tom C.

From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: Lens Hood 31mm Ltd
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:21:23 -0800

On Mar 15, 2006, at 4:25 AM, Mark Roberts wrote:

I've never had a problem (other than wishing it could be removed so I
could use a Cokin holder and split ND filter). Never had flare issues
with this lens.

Here's the flare problem I found:

http://homepage.mac.com/godders/FA31-flare-0759.jpg

Not a great picture on several counts, but the flare is quite obvious. A deeper lens hood would likely solve it.

Godfrey