----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>      I just checked the B&H web site to see if the black Limited
lenses had
> come in.  They haven't, but a number of the FA* lens prices have
dropped
> dramatically:
>           FA* 200mm f/2.8 dropped from $1,039.95 to $854.95
>           FA* 28-70mm f/2.8 dropped from $1,064.95 to $979.95
>           FA* 80-200mm f/2.8 dropped from $1,674.95 to $1,299.95

I recently checked with the local distributor about the FA* 80-200
f/2.8, and the new price here for that beast is up to 22,000 NOK (CA.
2,400 USD).

Last time I asked them, about a year ago, the price was around 16,000
NOK (ca. 1,700 USD).

When distributor's prices are going up and international vendors sell
them on discount, i'd say it's pretty sure that Pentax has stopped
producing them. Makes sense too, IMO. The Power zoom makes them heavy
and bulkier than comparable lenses from other brands.

If pentax is restructuring their Japan factory for production of new
high-end lenses like Pål says, then maybe they will come out with some
new versions of these lenses without the power zoom, and with some
built-in focus engines and/or image stabilisation instead?

Wishful thinking. Just like thinking of buying that FA* 80-200 from
B&H for 1,300 USD. <sigh>

Jostein