----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Dipert"
Subject: Re: Upcoming 10 Mpixel DSLR

My reason for earlier asking about the storage card format of the upcoming
10 Mpixel DSLR is that I just bought a new *ist D on clearance from Amazon
for $1199, as a backup for my existing *ist D. Here's where I'm torn:
1) 10 Mpixel resolution will certainly be helpful when doing extreme
enlargements, or said another way enlargements of a small portion of a
captured image, and

I've given this some thought, I'm not thinking the linear pixel count will be enough to make a huge difference over 6mp. If i want enlargablility combined with finde detail, large pieces of film still seem the way to go.

2) the *ist DS/DS2 on which I assume the new camera will be based makes some
feature advancements over the *ist D, albeit with a few features discarded
along the way (I admit I'm a bit fuzzy on how the *ist D compares to the
*ist DS/DS2, and would welcome folks' feedback on this), but

The new camera will more likely be a new chassis. It's very unlikely it will be a Ds chassis.

3) Especially for those of us that primarily shoot RAW, CompactFlash storage
capability, versus SD card, is desireable both from an absolute capacity
standpoint and cost/GByte standpoint (esp when MicroDrives are factored into
the mix).

SD cards are getting up in capacity now. I've not ever considered anything bigger than 1gb cards as being desirable. Too many eggs in one basket for my taste.

So what do folks think? The newer cameras are cheaper, and arguably
better-featured (again, data and opinions are welcomed), but only work with
capacity-deficient SD cards. Does it make sense to pay more simply for
CompactFlash capacity?

I have a feeling that the new camera will not be cheaper. Odds are it will have several cool features that none of the present Pentax DSLRs will have. It will use what it will use for storage, it will be up to individual buyers as to whether card type is a deal breaker or not.

William Robb