On 20 Mar 2006 at 8:22, John Bailey wrote:

> How well do the lenses perform on the sensor compared
> to film as far as CA effects and/or pixel blooming?  I
> made some DS2 exposures with my 1.4x tx + 300/8
> vivitar this  last Saturday of herons nesting in
> Sycamore trees in the Cuyahoga Vally National Park in
> NE Ohio.  The lcd review showed alot of purple along
> the tree branches against the light blue sky.  At home
> on my monitor there wasn't as much.  The files were
> PEF, then viewed both with Irfanview and Pentax Photo
> Lab.  When converted to jpegs most of the purple is
> gone except the thinnest branches are purple.

When post-viewing in camera you are looking at a low quality jpg file which is
affected by the in-camera settings, the RAW transformation used to produce this
image isn't as sophisticated as most of the external RAW convertors and can
exaggerate bloom and CA issues. I find that if I reduce sharpening to the bear
minimum at the time of RAW conversion (using ACR) any bloom becomes far less
saturated and obvious, compensating for CA in the RAW convertor can help a
great deal too.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998