On Mar 21, 2006, at 4:12 AM, mike wilson wrote:

You can make a pretty passable substitute for potato salad from
jicama.  They're readily available in many grocery stores and can be
eaten raw or cooked.  I had "potato salad" in Puerto Rico that was
darned close to the real thing, just the chunks of jicama were
crisper than cooked potato.  Jicama is not a member of the nightshade
family.

Bob

That's new to me. I don't get to PR very often 8-) Does it have any other names?

Not that I am aware of. Our local Kroger supermarket here in small town Virginia carries them, so I don't think they're particularly rare. Ask the produce manager at your supermarket. The J is pronounced like an H, BTW.

Bob