I think only version 1 has a switch for macro mode. I know the third
version doesn't and it doesn't look as if there's one on version 2.
http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

I think I'd believe that. Also, after playing with a buddy's I convinced to get for his RebelXT, I can say it's pretty goofy to operate. It's in M42 with a sorta "double-helix" for the macro mode. Strage until you figure it out.

-Cory