Hi Russel,

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:15:41 -0700, Russell Kerstetter wrote:

>I mostly lurk here, however I do have a question that I have had
>answered is two different ways, and always by someone who knows more
>than me.
>
>The Pentax dslr's have a 1.5 crop factor, so this means either:
>
>1) A 50mm focal length is still a normal perspective only with the
>sides cut off, because the sensor is smaller than a 35mm negative, and
>so the recorded image is simply smaller because of that.

Correct, perspective does not change ...

>....or....
>
>2) A 50mm focal length is now a medium telephoto perspective, with the
>same effects, with regard to image compression (from front to back)
>and depth of field, in the same way that on a large format camera a
>50mm focal length is a wide perspective.

Well, this may the effect you are observing, but that is not caused
by the 'crop-factor' or 'tele-factor' at all.

A 50mm is a 50mm, no matter on what camera you are using it ...

The perceived change is caused by YOU, changing your position to keep
roughly the same subject in view :-)

Perspective depends on STANDPOINT only.

On that given standpoint, the lens-focal length, and the size of
the image-area (film or sensor) determines how much of
the subject will be in view. (aka 'field of view')

>I feel like there is some concept about the mechanics of a lens that I
>do not understand, but both explanations make sense to me, so I don't
>know.

:-)

Regards, JvW

Jan van Wijk;   http://www.dfsee.com/gallery