Dave,

Definately give that Polaroid a try.  I picked up a Model 250 at an auction
a couple of years ago for $1.  The camera looks and works like brand new.  I
occaisionally take it out and shoot with it and I find it quite fun.  The
camera is well built, the zeiss rangefinder is fun to use and the instant
print is great for feedback.  I learn a lot from the instant feedback since
I usually shoot 35mm slides and get them developed through the mail (2 week
turnaround - no local processors).  The polaroid costs about $1 per shot - I
usually shoot type 669 color film.  The polaroid look is definately
different than 35mm.  I believe batteries are still available direct from
Polaroid - or hook up some AA bateries to get the proper voltage (3V or 4.5V
.. can't remember).

Eric