It's not even necessarily related to the format, as acceptable CoC on digital will be determined primarily by sensor site size, not sensor size.

-Adam

Jens Bladt wrote:
...CoC is a relative term - set seperately for each format, depending on how
much you must enlarge in order to see the image at a proper size.
I my world a smaller image (APS-size) should be enlarged more in order to
produce an acceptable, final image.
This should result in poorer overall sharpness. Why should this be regarded
as more DOF??

Since the image is cropped, the DOF in the final picture SEEMS to be
"better", since you most likely have croped away the unsharp edges. Still
the remaining image is the same as the center part of the 35mm frame. IMO
DOF does not change, just because you record the image on a sensor in stead
of a film.

Another reason why DOF seem to be "better" in digital recorded images (small
sensors), is because we use shorter focal lengths in order to maintain the
same FOV. This will cause larger DOF in the final image. But this is
comparing two intirely differnt images, and this is NOT the subject here.
The same lens at a given aperture still produces exactly the same image -
althoug croped.

Regards
Jens Bladt
http://www.jensbladt.dk