I havn't done a "formal" test with my lens, but so far it looks like that me
too, has to shoot at f:8 or more with my Tokina AT-X 150-500 f:5,6. I also
have a impression that I have to shoot at 15 meter or closer. Yesterday was
a very bright day, with snow, bright sun, and reflections from the sea. When
shooting at longer distance I had a lot of contrast problems. I'm not sure
it is contrast problems, but that’s my "diagnose" at this stage. I haven't
shoot any keepers yet. But, it is fun.

Hi Thibouille. I don't know where you live.
But I guess if you look around you most likely will find some spots where
you can get bird photos without messy backgrounds. Have a walk in a park, go
to a lonely sport stadium, try getting on top of some roofs etc. My point is
that I'm pretty sure you will find good spots for shooting city birds if you
go looking.
This is just some ideas up from my sleeve. Have fun.

Tim
Mostly harmless (just plain Norwegian)

Never underestimate the power of stupidity in large crowds
(Very freely after Arthur C. Clarke, or some other clever guy)