On Mar 26, 2006, at 9:24 PM, Boris Liberman wrote:

2. Fast forward to digital era, I have a feeling that what people talking about here as "art" is mostly the post-processing work flow, particularly the PS manipulation. I am not sure if this is truly the "art' part...

The art of photography is the same, and is separate from the technology of capture or rendering. If you don't understand that, you don't understand the art of photography.

Digital enthusiasts shoot raw like machine gun (well, not quite but you know what I mean) without much regard to the ambient light etc (AWB) , as they
(we) determined that those could (and should) be processed later on
computer. There lies some grief by film enthusiasts (or traditionalist, I
should say).  Craft of taking good photos are now transferred to the
mechanical post-processing in what is called the work flow. Now people call it the "art". Perhaps, but I have to wonder how much creativity is included in that (in general terms). PS allows real creative manipulation of the photo but how many people are doing it, using the real capability of the PS?
Most are just scratching the surface of the software.

Again, you're right.

Utter nonsense. Hobbyists and people do who not understand photography handle their cameras as gadgets and toys. Photographers work to exploit whatever equipment and techniques that are at hand to produce photographs.

I think that it is general tendency of modern homo sapiens to put more and more trust into technology. Take this for example - "The Art of Computer Programming"... Actually it is a craft.

more bs.

I further think that as technology advances we stop being in control, we become operators of complex machinery, instead of photographers, musicians, etc.

If you don't think that a guitarist playing an acoustic guitar is not an 'operator of complex machinery' all you are doing is playing a game of semantics.

3. ... In Japan (not that Japan is any special, but simply because I
watch more posts in Japan), this trend (coming back to film) is also
a big tide.

<sarcasm>
I bet the photofinishers of the world are just trembling with delight watching the huge amount of new photofinishing work rolling in the door.
</sarcasm>

  I cannot quantify it but there seem to be more and more
of those people and even the resurgence of film is being talked about
in some quarters (Fuji are officially forecasting this and it may not
be just a commercial wishful thinking).  People who desire this are
almost without exception the most experienced group of people.

There is indeed the joy of using your tool to "create" good photos being taken away by the digital process, and perhaps that's what the experienced
people are feeling.

more bs.

It would take great amount of self-discipline to:

1. Do as much as possible with the camera.
2. Do only raw processing and then spend no more than 5 min per photo in PS which would be roughly equal to whatever averaging the mini-lab does.

My average photo takes less than 5 minutes of Photoshop work to produce and looks a heck of a lot better than what I see coming out of the current minilabs.

I guess I'm doing as much as possible with the camera, eh?

4. And then, there is an aspect of "pride of ownership" of fine photographic
instruments or tools (you could call it a gadget factor :-).  Today's
digicams, particularly DSLRs are like computers in early '90s. You know that the moment you purchased a model, it is going to become obsolete in a
very short time, even 6 months, so the manufacturers keep pumping out
expensive toys using cheap materials, whereas the film cameras are matured technology and once you bought a decent one (and at some $500 to $1,000), it will last almost a lifetime. Unlike digicams, all film cameras produce the same decent images in the hand of the experienced as much depends on which
film is used.

Ken, gadget factor is very destructive. Take *istD. To average amateur enthusiast it is absolutely sufficient for all their needs. It gives you A4 prints natively and with minimal ressing up you can have A3. It is 99% of what is necessary re prints.

Now, look how much PDML mental power was absorbed in discussing the would-be *istD successor. It may have more pixes, USM, IS, what not. Will it make *average amateur enthusiast* a better *photographer*. Profoundly *no*! It will not. It will make the manual so many pages thicker. It will ruin so many photos because certain mode was forgotten to be turned on or of. It will make so many photos because of the same modes. Notice - none of the above has to do with photography - but with operation of a tool, a machine.

My brother just enabled himself with Optio S60 (you obviously realize why he chose Pentax). He's extremely good with computers. He read the manual - he couldn't get it :-(. Yes - he is not a photographer - he merely want to go around and click around. Yet he wants to know what kind of gadget he has - he got lost in the manual. I'll rescue him, but the trend is evident.

I don't know what you are saying, either of you. People like toys, and gadgeteer camera buffs like camera toys. So what? These are not photographers. So they buy whatever new toy a manufacturer makes that delights them. That's their right and privilege. So they yak about them to ridiculous extent too; although I find it noisome and often ridiculous, that's their right and privilege as well.

Photographers like cameras and the technology of photographic production not for the things themselves but for the photographs which express their art. What they buy is of concern inasmuch as it advances their ability to do their art.

Of course, some photographer are also camera buffs and enjoy the technology itself too. Nothing wrong with that either.

I can go on and on like this and know I have not even touched more critical
points (which I usually remember AFTER posting :-).
I just thought that, after the original post of this thread, suddenly people
all became self-acclaimed artists of some kind (I respect many are),
promoting as if the post processing is the sophisticated art. I believe there is an increasing group of appreciating the old craft, and make a
pause.
I am not saying that those people suddenly are dropping the digital
photography. They are not. But some people are increasingly beginning to pick up more film photography as they used to. They know the advantage of both digital and film photography (I know it cots more if we keep shuttering
away like we do with digicams).  We'll see.

The art of photography is in seeing and expressing what we see by capturing and presenting it. The tools ... the technology of capture and the methodology of rendering it for presentation ... is essential to that art, although the art transcends those tools. The tools themselves are mutable and transitory, the art is not.

You can choose to accept this or you don't, but this is the basis of photography as an art form. Otherwise, you are a recorder of scenes in time ... a documentarian, a snap shooter ... or a camera buff. There's nothing wrong with any of them, but as I said way way earlier in this thread: "If you can't see the art in digital photography, well, that's your problem."

Godfrey