[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<  Anyway, I'm wondering what all of your opinions are concerning mirror
lenses in this focal area? The second option would be to use one of Pentax's
300 (I would prefer the F* for tripod mount), so my second question is, how
well would that lens (or other version) perform using a Pentax 2x-s TC?
Thanks for the help.

 Nick >>

You would be better off with the 300 mm PENTAX w/2X-s tele.
A good mirror lens is great for Air Shows and long distance shots you can
only get with 5-10 lb. super-teles. You'll need a tripod (or at least a good
monopod) in that the view through a handheld 500 mm lens of any kind is at
least shaky. The use of ISO 800 film is also advised.
You already know the viewfinder image will be dim.**
**The use of DOF preview with 500 mm mirror lenses is all but impossible.

Mafud
Talking on Net2Phone ~now~!