On 3/27/06, Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> frank theriault wrote:
>
> >I don't need or want to consider "work flow" or any of that crap.
>
> Oh man, this is great! I was just talking about this very subject with
> a photographer friend a couple of days ago.
>
> Frank, you *do* have "work flow" and you *have* considered it, as all
> of us have done. You shoot film of a particular type that you have
> selected amongst thousands (well, maybe hundreds or dozens these days)
> available. You then take the exposed film to a lab you trust and have
> the film developed and prints made. Sometimes you follow this by
> scanning the prints and uploading them to Photo.net. I'm guessing even
> you have some way of storing your negatives ;-)
>
> All this *is* workflow. Photographers have always done workflow. We
> haven't really noticed it before (at least *I* hadn't - perhaps this
> says something about me, but let's not go there!) because A) We have
> each developed our own procedures gradually over a long period of
> time, and B) we didn't have the word "workflow" to describe the
> process.
>
> The workflow of all my photography (I still do shoot some film, you
> know) has improved since I started shooting digital, simply because I
> am now aware of the concept of photographic workflow and the fact that
> it can be modified and improved. My friend Steve (who shoots weddings,
> corporate "grip-n-grin" and horse shows) and I were discussing how
> "workflow" had entered the modern lexicon and how it really applied to
> lots of things outside photography.
>
> Anyway, you *have* designed your own workflow and, as far as I can
> tell, it's a damned good one for your purposes. (At least as far as
> the resulting images are concerned. I know you well enough to be wary
> of inquiring too deeply into the negative storage and archiving end of
> it <g>)

I'm like Shel.  The word just bugs me is all.

Whatever the hell it is I do only became called workflow since the
advent of computers and scanning and digital storage/manipulation.

What I do is "get film developed and have prints made".

You (and everyone else) can call it whatever you want.  <g>

cheers,
frank