Hi Godfrey
have you really used an Oly XA?
I can not see the limitations you mentioned with that Olympus series and I
made some great shots with the original XA and now with the XA4 macro. I
miss the manual F-stop setting on the XA4 macro of course, you can only set
a distance zone and the camera does the rest and you can not underexpose.
The first and original XA let's you control all that.
The design of the XA series is one of the best and most beautiful ever for
me (beside the bulky flash).

greetings
Markus