On 28/3/06, Paul Stenquist, discombobulated, unleashed:

>No. You have it wrong. I've heard both of those, and they don't come
>close to the king. The most incredible sound in motorsports is an
>8-liter, 8000 horsepower, nitromethane-burinng, supercharged drag
>racing engine at full tilt. That much air moving that fast creates a
>sound unlike anything you have ever heard. Of course you shouldn't
>listen without ear plugs. The exhaust note lays right under the banshee
>scream of the intake, and it is wide, deep, and awesome. You can feel
>it in the ground, and in anything you touch. Of course, if you're
>standing near the starting line, you can also feel the pavement move
>when the cars accelerate at an off-the-mark rate of about 100 feet per
>second. Speeds at the 1/8th mile mark are now around 270 mph. Zero to
>200 comes in somewhere between two and three seconds. Unfortunately,
>television chooses not to broadcast the real sound of any motorsports.

Come to the UK!

Actually it is pretty much impossible to get a decent recording of these
things. We have races at Santa Pod and the image in the viewfinder
actually vibrates when filming anywhere in proximity of the start. I
have only ever seen that twice before - once was under a B1 bomber with
the reheat on just after take-off, and within a few feet of the torus
(large donut-shaped magnetic chamber) at JET fusion research centre
<http://www.jet.efda.org/>

I think the drag racer had the edge in 'viewfinder interference', not to
mention internal organ interference.

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__