Really?   Both my A* 300/f2.8 and my FA* 250-600/f5.6 came with a
set of drop-in filters (albeit different sizes for each lens) that
included what appears to be a plain glass filter.  I'm pretty sure
it's recommended practice to have a piece of glass in the optical
path there - why else would there be a filter blank included?

Sure, the lenses will focus just fine without anything there.  But
presumably the CA corrections, etc., assume a filter is present.