Op Tue, 04 Apr 2006 15:47:54 +0200 schreef Roman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

How does 50mm macro lense DOF f/8 stand compared to 50mm lense f/8 with 12mm extension ring? Which expected to have greater DOF?

Impossible to tell :o)

Thoughts?

As far as I know, d.o.f. is dependent on the size of the entrance pupil ('the aperture as seen from the front of the lens'), and the enlargement of the image at the sensor. Assuming that the entrance pupil is the same for two 50mm lenses at f/8, d.o.f. would be identical if you make identical compositions.

If you try to get maximum magnification from both setups, I'd say that you get a better d.o.f. from the 50mm with 12mm extension ring. But that's only because that'll reach about 1:4 as maximum magnification, while 50mm macro's typically reach 1:2 or even 1:1. Blow up and crop the 50+extension image to match the macro image, and you have lost your advantage again...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

--
Regards, Lucas