Having used a Canon Rebel and a Nikon D70, and played with an istD for a
day or so, making the choice to go with a DS was a no brainer for me.
While a D would have been nice for a few of the features, those features
weren't worth doubling the price of the camera.  I definitely wanted an
entry-level DSLR with which I could learn digital photography.  I liked the
build quality of the DS - it felt more solid than the Rebel, and I liked
the way it fit my hand better than the Nikon.  The Pentax viewfinder was a
big plus - I could use it both with and without my glasses, and it was
bright enough to allow manual focusing fairly easily.  That I had a bunch
of Pentax K-mount lenses was a big plus, but, if I were starting from
scratch, I'd probably have gone with the Pentax anyway.

I'd recommend a Pentax in a heartbeat - in fact, I have on several
occasions.  It's a good, solid camera to start with, and the range of
lenses available run from the downright cheap to very expensive, from old
screw mounts to the latest digital lenses.  It just took a few days of
experimenting and asking a few questions to set the camera up properly (for
my needs) and begin photographing in earnest.

It's not the only entry level choice out there, but it sure is a good one,
imo.

Shel