On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 12:20:18 +0100, Bob W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Cotty [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 08 April 2006 11:52
To: pentax list
Subject: Re: OT - Nicest eBayer in the world?

On 8/4/06, John Forbes, discombobulated, unleashed:

>Integrity, social capital, and love for your fellow man has
nothing to
>do with MBA business practices, sadly.  There, the short
term rules.
>Darwin on rocket fuel.  Eat lunch, or be lunch.

Fatalist!!

I'm not so sure that John is correct. One of the classics of
management-speak is 'win/win'. Even though in practice one party is usually
trying to shaft the other, all it demonstrates is that the people weren't
listening when they explained Prisoner's Dilemma, or are too stupid to
understand it.

A few years ago the management schools taught that the customer was king; that if you gave the customer what he wanted, yours would be the world, and everything in it, and what is more... (see Kipling for the rest).

Now they preach that the customer is only king if he accounts for 10% of turnover. Otherwise, screw them. Good marketing will ensure that there'll be more suckers along soon. You only have to look at the rebate thread to see that.

It's all driven by half-witted fund managers and "analysts" for whom a company is only as good as it's latest quarterly results. We had one on here once, but he seems to have gone a bit quiet since Pentax failed to fold when he predicted.

Warren Buffet, on the other hand.............

John