We don't really know all that much about HCB. Even the recent biography of
him by Assouline was full of strange gaps. For example, it mentions his
wives but never talks about how they met, married and divorced.

Nachtwey did come across as somebody who has trouble fitting in at home, but
that seems to be true of a lot of people who have been through similar
experiences, by choice or by draft. I remember from reading about him
elsewhere that it was never his ambition to be a photographer. Only a war
photographer. If I remember correctly, he was inspired by Don McCullen.

McCullen is another person who was never quite at home away from wars.
However, since he has retired from it, re-remarried, and now spends his time
on a wider form of humanitarian photography he seems to have cheered up a
bit. Perhaps he doesn't go around humming medleys from Kylie's greatest
hits, but he seemed chirpy enough when I met him and he has a dry humour.

Perhaps little Jimmy Nachtwey just needs a girl (or boy) friend and a nice
holiday.

--
Cheers,
 Bob