On Apr 16, 2006, at 10:15 AM, graywolf wrote:

Proximity of walls and ceiling, an umbrella has a lot more spill and thus is not as directional as a softbox thereby providing a softer light especially in smaller rooms. Lots of bounce light in other words. I would guess that Bob has a rather large studio.

Yup. I was thinking of umbrellas used in large spaces, but of course you are right if in a small room. Problem is that if the walls aren't white you can run into bounced color. FWIW, my studio measures 35 X 70. Not that I need that much room, but I set it up for teaching workshops so I could have three or four sets all set up and ready, and could use them all simultaneously if desired.

Bob