A couple of months ago I mentioned my LX focus problem, where the top and
bottom of the screen were out of focus in opposite directions. It proved
surprisingly difficult to deal with, although the cause and solution turned
out to be simple in concept and may be of interest.

I took it for a service and was told it was an unusual problem - an ominous
start, as the service didn't sort it. I took it back, and it turned out that
the repair technician had trouble seeing the focus on the screen and relied
on the split image. He then adjusted the angle of the screen holder and
there was a small improvement. However the screen holder was left
dramatically tilted upwards, which didn't seem right. As suggested by
several of you, the most likely option was that the mirror was misaligned. I
noticed it appeared to sit higher than the mirror on my other LX, and the
adjustment lever was also higher. I realised that an incorrectly aligned
mirror would also explain why I sometimes cut off the top of pictures -
perhaps not just my incompetence! So, having scanned the internet and PDML
archives for information ...

I printed out a target of concentric rectangles and made a "ground glass"
screen consisting of perspex (plexiglass) that sat on the outer film rails
with magic tape strips facing forwards, ie approximately in the film plane.
As predicted, an image that was perfectly centred in the viewfinder sat too
low in the film gate.

Adjusting the mirror position is a nightmare, as the mirror stop is spring
loaded and its resting position is held by a lever that has a pivot and
locking screw. Over a couple of hours the mirror position varied wildly in
either direction, but my technique improved and eventually I got it adjusted
spot-on without either dropping the screwdriver on the shutter curtain or
irreversibly damaging the screwheads.

In comparison, the screen adjustment was simple as it can be done
incrementally. A slight complication is that one of the four screws is about
halfway down one side - the others are in the corners. This is fine if you
want to move it without changing the angle, but requires some calculation if
it needs to be tilted. However within a short time it was level, in focus
right across its plane and the infinity focus was set. I took some photos of
an angled target (as described in http://www.photo.net/learn/focustest/) and
will use that to fine tune the adjustment. Relief! Further relief when I
checked my other LX and found its mirror angle was perfect - I had had that
one serviced at the same time.

I'm sure the focus problem originated from bad service work before I had the
camera. The repair guy pointed out that both cameras were missing seals and
that the mirror buffers were non-standard. It's a pity he didn't think to
check the mirror adjustment.

Now back to actually using them!

thanks to all for your helpful suggestions

Alistair