Peter Jordan wrote:

Not all that keen on the feel myself, and the viewfinder does look like looking down a long dark tunnel, but in terms of portability & performance for the price, you can't beat it.

Peter

----- Original Message ----- From: "mike wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2006 7:12 PM
Subject: Re: ist DL2 offer in UK

Bob W wrote:

I saw that offer too a few days ago, in CameraWorld, I think, and was very surprised that they're so cheap. I'm almost tempted by it myself. What are
the lenses like?

--
Cheers,
 Bob

Black. Glass in the middle. 8-) Not got it going yet (sigh) Will call back tomorrow.

All seems to be well made for modern stuff but I'm not very keen on the feel of it.

OK, serious answer. No aperture rings 8-( Slow 8-(( Very plasticky - for instance, you can grasp the hood of the 50-200 and, without much effort, make it zoom from end to end. Rotten MF ring compared to any MF lens but better than some I've seen. Push on body end cap on the 18-55, proper one on the 50-200. Squeeze fit end caps. Hoods have cutouts for polarisers.

Rocker switch on back feels flimsy but I suspect is not as bad as it feels. It seems that my stock of batteries is past its useful life - they only last about five minutes on the DL. Will give them an overnight charge and try again. No card or batteries other than a set of alkalines supplied, presumably to keep the price down. As the best ratio of price for an SD card between online and high street was 1:4, I won't be taking any real pictures until the card arrives. You can play a neat trick with the DOF preview - it takes a picture and displays it on the LCD. Of course, working the rotating switch induces camera shake, so I'm not sure how one would deduce DOF accurately.

Pentax wants me to subscribe to Pentax User and to become an organ donor, as well as filling in guarantees.