You've lost me completely.  I don't understand the "math of photography."
Just snap the shutter and see what comes out.  Push a few buttons in
Photoshop, or adjust the light in the darkroom. If it works one way or not
another, then the answer is clear.

Anyway, I don't even understand terms like "quantization," or what a
"chunkier quantization" might be, or why or how you'd amplify a
quantization..

I love how photography has become a numbers crunching exercise for some
people.  Pick up the camera, focus, press the shutter, and see what
happens, see what you get.

Shel