graywolf wrote:
See my other reply. You make new backup copies as new media becomes available. That is the reason for using a fileserver as your main repository. Such a server is not necessarily that expensive. And older computer that you may already have around the house, an IDE raid controller, a couple of big hard drives, and a UPS. Network it to your workstations and/or laptops and you are in business. The images are there online and reasonably safe, at least far safer than if you just have them on a USB drive. If new backup media becomes available you just back up the whole image file to that and toss the DVD's. In the unlikely case of both mirrored drives crashing at the same time you restore the system from the backup media.

Anyone who thinks there is a once and forever computer archive scheme out there is deluding themselves.

what he said. I recently switched my backups from CDs to DVDs. Easy enough because EVERY image I have is mirrored on hard drives on my linux box and always available for viewing/editing/archiving. When a new removable media becomes available, my backups will switch from DVDs to whatever that is.

In a past life I was the backup and SAN administrator for a datacenter. I always liked the toys of the trade. I really wish I could have a massive multi-terabyte array and a tape library to back it up.
--

Christian
http://photography.skofteland.net