On Apr 30, 2006, at 10:05 AM, mike wilson wrote:

The *istDL2 records up to five images (at “best” image quality in 6 megapixel JPEG format) or three images (in RAW format) consecutively at a speed of approximately 2.8 frames per second, allowing the user to capture a series of photos of the subject’s motion. -Aaron

That's what I'm getting. I can take pictures about every 3seconds+ if I take them seperately. If I hold the shutter button down it does the handbook thing. So about as fast as I can shoot using my thumb to wind on. Lame. I'll have to set up approach paths and strict landing zones in the garden. 8-)

I can't understand what you're saying. You seem to be saying two things: a) it works the way the manual says, b) it is much slower than the manual says.

At appropriate hand-held shutter speeds, you should be able to take a photo every time you press the button with very little lag between them until the capture buffer is full. The capture buffer holds up to 5 (raw) exposures. After that you can take another shot as soon as there's enough space in the buffer, which depends upon how fast the bus in the camera is as well as how fast the card can accept the data. If you've chosen to fit the camera with a slow card, it's easy for that write to take an excessive amount of time. The DS will write data at about the level of a 60-80x card. The DL/DS2/DL2 should write data at about the 133x card max.

If you want performance you need to buy good quality cards. You can't just buy whatever no-name stuff might be available cheap and expect premium performance. The digital SLR is an advanced technology device and requires a certain minimum quality standard in components to be at its best.

Just had a play with it on some Blue Tits filling their nest box with fluffy stuff and sorted out a few problems. The camera does its stop down thing if you have pressed the shutter button. In other words, it's not enough for the camera to be on, it has to be ON. Not clear in the manual, IIRC.

Yes, the metering system must be active. You can set the time out for the metering system in the Custom menu to be 10, 3 or 30 seconds, to minimize delays like this.

Godfrey