On Apr 30, 2006, at 9:14 AM, Joseph Tainter wrote:

Don't the Nikon and Canon models take only proprietary rechargeable batteries? I consider that a fatal flaw, not least because sometimes I work in the northern Sahel, where there is no electricity. I hope Pentax keeps their current DSLR battery options in the new models.

Nikon and Canon, and most other makes, use "proprietary" (more 'custom form factor' than proprietary, since many vendors sell the batteries for those cameras...) rechargeable Lithium-Ion batteries.

-The downside is that you must have the correct batteries for the camera and you must have some means of recharging them when in the field (as well as a sufficient number to handle your immediate shooting needs).

-The upsides are:
  a) they pack a lot more power into a smaller/lighter package,
  b) they hold their charge much much better than NiMH batteries do,
c) you change ONE battery, not two or four, meaning less time lost fumbling with a battery in the field, and
  d) they recharge 1000+ times at least without loss of capacity.

While I'm perfectly happy to deal with whatever Pentax does, and the CRV3/AA form factor compatibility is a plus for some things, I would be happy with a good quality Lithium-Ion rechargeable or (like Sony) Info-Lithium rechargeable too. I had/have both now, and, believe me, the Sony batteries are the best. Absolutely accurate on time to exhaustion, light, fast recharge, power the R1 for 400 exposures or more, hold their charge for MONTHs with no maintenance at all if the camera is not being used much. When I've traveled with Sony, Canon or Konica Minolta equipment, I carry two spares and a charger, and have *never* run short of power in the field no matter how many hundred exposures I make. A charger equipped with an automotive adapter is all that is necessary when I'm traveling.

Godfrey