> From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2006/05/01 Mon PM 11:52:22 GMT
> To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
> Subject: Re: waist-level viewfinder
>

> On May 1, 2006, at 9:33 AM, mike wilson wrote:
>
> > There's no point in framing at waist level if you then have to bend
> > double to focus.  It's a paradox with this type of finder that I
> > never resolved.  The original post gave me the impression that part
> > of the desire was to be less obtrusive.    Not sure it can work
> > like that.
>
> Ah, grasshopper, you have not been given the Waist Level Teaching...
>
> There are at least two ways to work focusing with a waist level finder:
>
> 1) You set focus by scale and DoF. This works fine for many types of
> subjects that do not require critical focus.
>
> 2) You pick the camera up to mid-chest level, tip your head forward
> to see the focusing screen with magnifier in place, focus critically.
> Then fold back the magnifier and drop the camera back down to the
> height where you want to make the exposure for framing.

I use both techniques on my LX and Rollei.

> Both of those techniques work beautifully with my Rolleiflexes,
> Hasselblads, Nikon F2 and F3 with waist level finders, etc. Very
> unobtrusive to the subject because the exposure is made at a
> different time from when you set the focus and your eye is not
> putting pressure on them through the viewfinder directly.

I'm still not sure that that system will make the photographer less obtrusive.
Depends on circumstance, I suppose.

> A new option that I find with the Sony R1 is to use the flexible spot
> AF right at waist level: The finder is large and clear enough to
> place the focus point right on what I want to capture with the
> joystick and touch the focus button (or shutter button if the
> camera's set on AF). Bingo, the focus is set perfectly every time.

I tried this with a friend's compact.  It seems to work reasonably well, even
for a Moley like myself.  Possibly this is the best technique for
unobtrusiveness, although it brings in problems of its own.

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software