At 02:12 14.8.2001 -0700, you wrote:
>  NZ Customs is holding my new LX. They have mailed me
>a bill for NZ$213.13 (multiply by 0.4 for US) which I
>must pay to get the camera. This is supposed to be for
>GST (Goods & Services Tax) on the "US$699 value" of
>the camera. I paid US$651 for the camera. Then they
>seem to think they can charge the freight on top of
>that. I paid US$27.50 freight. Now, in the days when I
>learnt maths, that was US$658.50.

Actually, it should be US$678.50 according to the current
maths standards :-)

Anyways, the customs in Finland is the same. They also charge
the tax and vat based on the value of the item plus the value
of the shipping.

The customs base their statement value on what is written on the customs
declaration on the parcel. So, I suppose you have to blame the
sender for not stating the correct value if that is the case.

Antti-Pekka

---
* Antti-Pekka Virjonen * Fiskarsinkatu 7 D       * GSM: +358 400 789753 *
* Computec Oy Turku    * FIN-20750 Turku Finland * Fax: +358 2 413 7777 *