I'm not sure the exposure meter is affected - I didn't think it
was necessary to use circular polarizers with early SLRs (which
had metering).  I believe the requirement came in with auto-focus.

I'd already got part of the way to the suggested test - if I had
a second polarizer I had deduced how to use the pair of them,
back-to-back, to determine which was the correct orientation.
But I don't have a second polarizer, so I couldn't do the test.

Using the reflected image of the first polarizer was a brilliant
idea, and enabled me to discover that, of course, I had put the
glass back in the wrong way round.  Murphy never sleeps.