Tom,

F and FA lenses tell the body how far away the focus
point is, and the body uses this information (along
with the OTF metering) to regulate the flash.

That said, since you're shooting a dark subject in the
dark, some exposure compensation would seem a good
idea.

I've shot raccoons (in the photographic sense) a
couple of times, and they couldn't have cared less.
You will probably have time to do plenty of shooting.
So, you may want to bracket.

One thing 'coons have is a serious case of eyeshine in
flash pix.  Can the MZ-S control the 500FTZ as a slave
off-camera?  Do you have some place you could mount
the flash?

Rick

http://www.photo.net/photos/RickW