Shel Belinkoff wrote:

It's been suggested that I install a fire wall, but I don't really know
what one is or how they work.  So, what's a fire wall, how does it work,
what are the pros and cons of using one, and where can I get one?

No doubt you have already had many replies. FWIW, I have used Zonealarm (it's got a free version but it is not easily findable on the site) for about four years now, which does the basic firewall thing of hiding your computer from the internet and preventing unauthorised access to it from outside. Even better, it will not allow programmes to access the internet unless you authorise it. You would be suprised how may installation programmes call home without you knowing about it. Zonealarm tells you it is happening and you can allow it, or not.

The downside of firewalls is that they have to install at startup, which slows it and, with Zonealarm, you have to "teach" it which programmes are allowed to access the net.