The World Is A Very Big Place (TM).

In the USA, you are entitled to a hand check, if you ask.
They'll try and assure you the scanners are OK for film
slower than ISO 800, but you don't have to let them scan it.
Of course this may well lead to you spending an extra 30
minutes being thoroughly checked out - allow plenty of time.

In other parts of the world (such as, for example, Europe)
there is no such entitlement.  I'd recommend packing at least
one roll of high-speed film (I used Fuji 1600) in with all
the other rolls - that way you'll usually avoid the scanners.

I once made the mistake of leaving some 1600-speed film in my
checked baggage.  Rather to my surprise, there was no damage.
But I wouldn't recommend the practice - the X-ray machines can
be set to several different levels - presumably the machine
was on low when my bags were scanned, and the inspectors saw
nothing suspicious enough to warrant a re-scan at higher levels.