That's very much a matter of personal opinion.

Some people like aperture rings.

Some people like body-mounted controls.

For the first group, the ergonomics of the MZ-S (and MZ bodies)
are great.  For the second group, the MZ bodies are awkward to
use, and the PZ bodies (and, of course, the *ist-D) are better.

There's also the problem that if you're already using your left
hand to focus (and, on some lenses, to zoom) then it's a lot
more disruptive to shift your hand to the aperture ring than it
is to simply move your thumb to operate a control wheel.

Pentax made matters worse, of course, by switching back and forth
between the design paradigms before finally making up their minds.

Nowadays, of course, a body that *requires* you to use an aperture
ring (as opposed to the PZ bodies, which *permit* you to use one,
should you so desire) would be a non-starter.

One final note - personally, I found the ergonomics of the MZ-S
leave a lot to be desired.  I'm by no means the only MZ-S owner
who found the thumbwheel awkward to operate; while it turns one
way fairly freely, it can be hard to turn it back the other way,
especially while the camera is up to the eye in shooting position.