Kenneth Waller wrote:
> Tom
> Given that something is lost on the initial jpeg capture,

You know, I hate to be picky about this, but...nothing is actually LOST, per
se, on initial capture of a jpeg image.
What's there is there, as your lens/camera system captures it and delivers it
to the sensor. Just because you have chosen to capture an image as a jpeg
doesn't mean you've selected an inferior image format.

Whatever the sensor passes along by way of the camera's internal software,
which apparently identifies it as a jpeg, or tiff or raw image, is what it is.
How can any of that be classified as a "loss?"

The image captured as a tiff or a jpeg is converted by the camera's internal
firmware (I suppose ?) to be what it is. Same with RAW.

Any losses that occur to any image captured and saved happen after the photog
grabs hold of the image and messes around with it!

>...everything I been
> taught tells me that its only after numerous jpeg re-savings, that the
 > continued losses become evident.
>
> Kenneth Waller

That's as I understand it.
However, as *I* understand it, just opening it and viewing it, and closing it
again does NOT bring about a deterioration.
You have to "save" it time after time for the degradation to take place.

keith whaley