On 16.06.2006, at 16:24 , Mark Roberts wrote:

> Which versions of the OS have these features? One of the Macs I'm
> dealing with is a G3 Powerbook. Don't know which version it's running
> yet, but it's at least 5 years old. maybe older.
So it can have Mac OS 9.x installed.  If you have original OS 9
installation CD that came with Powerbook, then you can start PB using
this CD (keep "C" key pressed after startup tone, release it when you
see smiling Mac icon). When system has already loaded from CD - use
"Drive setup" application that should be in "Application(Mac OS 9)/
Utilities/Drive setup" folder and check "zero all data" checkbox in
"Initialisation options". Then initialise disk (zeros will be written
all over the disk - it should be secure enough) and install fresh
system.

Cheers,
Sylwek