Mike Wilson wrote:

> A curved filter would be useless for general use.

While that may seem a logical claim, curved filters were (are?) in fact made
by our very own Asahi Optical Co. for the very reason that they eliminated
ghosting.  Although curved they have no optical properties, the surfaces are
parallel just as they would be if the filters were flat.  A ghostless filter
is a double meniscus with a zero dioptre.

What makes these filters ghostless is that the ~image-forming~ rays always
go through the glass at 90 degrees, unlike a flat filter where the angle of
incidence increases more and more as the rays are collected further outwards
from the optical axis.  The divergence from the perpendicular is what causes
ghosting, and is why ghostless filters work.

They may appear to be full of distortion on a casual inspection, just like
an old style watch glass, but the light rays that look distorted ~are not~
image forming rays.

I have always wondered if these filters were matched to particular lenses or
lens types, e.g. very curved for very wide angle lenses and almost flat for
long focal lengths.

Regards,
Anthony Farr