"I'd conclude that if the hummingbirds built a nest in his backyard,
that it was their choice and they were aware of the proximity of humans."

Oh, definitely. My wife has feeders set up. There are chickens roosting
in the same tree as the hummingbird nest. Our useless cats wander at
will (the nest is pretty far out on a thin limb). From time to time a
coyote comes into the yard in the morning to check whether there are any
live morsels within reach. My son found the nest this morning because he
saw the mother hummingbird worrying our border collie, who had wandered
under the nest because it is in her territory and she always wanders there.

Thanks for the advice not to use flash. Other than that, Big Bertha will
be far enough away that the nest is not going to be disturbed any more
than is usual when we are in the yard.

Joe