With a tip of my hat to Tom and John's recent comments, I'm not sure what
the next incarnation of PUG's gallery should be, but I did try something
recently that might be set an example of a plausible way to proceed using
free photo tools on the net. Specifically Flickr, which doesn't cost
anything, has no size limitations, and submissions to groups can be
moderated by group leaders (to trim out the weeds, so to speak). I figure
it's better to use free resources than put the burden of responsibility on a
few people.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ok1000/

A few weeks ago I started this Flickr group to allow Flickr Pentax users to
post themed pictures to a showcase gallery, to see how it would go. It's not
much right now, but then I didn't expect it to be popular and I'm surprised
there are even as many people in the group as there are right now.

Any Flickr account holder can select to join the group, and then they can
select images from their personal gallery to be submitted to the group's
gallery. It works pretty easily. At any time, a user can pull their images
from the gallery or add new ones. They're shown in order of submission, not
date taken or uploaded to Flickr. On top of this, there are discussion
threads that can be extraneous to the comments for photos (as some people
don't allow comments under there photos).

Uploading images to your personal gallery at Flickr is fairly
straightforward, although there are upload bandwidth caps for free accounts
(20MB a month).  But no download caps. This alone makes it pretty attractive
to me. At for copyright, Flickr is good at displaying what reservations you
keep about sharing the image, and inhibiting copying as best they can.

If someone wanted to moderate a new group, they could then post a discussion
thread at the Flickr group's webpage highlighting a winner and runners up
after they'd counted votes. Voting could be done in the comments for each
picture (a requisite would be to allow comments for these photos), and
because dates are shown for the comments.

Just thought I'd put it out there for you guys to consider if you're not
into Flickr. Hey, and if you are at Flickr.

- Michael