I have not generated enough photos to bother much with doing anything
major, but currently put everything into a folder labeled RAW with
sub-folders by client-name then date, or by subject then date. If a
subject folder gets to full I create more specific sub-folders. Like:

RAW
    Bob and Jane
       date
    Mark Smith
       date
    Airplanes
       Cessna
          date
       Beechcraft
          date
    Scenics
       Mountains
          date
       Etc.

At the present time when I get about a DVD full of raw files I copy them
to a DVD, and start a new base folder (e.g. RAW-2). If I was more
serious I would have to work out some kind of progressive backup and
file system.

(BTW CS2 Bridge can label and search for files by category --just in
case someone didn't know that).

--
graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com