Ann -

In Firefox, you can block images and get text only this way...

Go to the Tools menu, click on Options, then click on the Content icon.
  In the window that opens un-check the box that says Load Images.  To
the right of the Load Images choice is a box labeled Exceptions.  Click
on that and follow the instructions to designate web sites from which
you want to see the images.

HTH

-P