People keep saying silly things like that. Optical magnification is not
he same thing as viewfinder magnification. 100% viewfinder magnification
means the image in the viewfinder appears life sized. To get that a
sub-frame camera needs far higher optical magnification than a
full-frame camera. To match an MX's 95% viewfinder magnification your
ist-D needs 1.5x more optical magnification, it does not have it.

If my Oly had the same optical magnification as an MX the image would be
1/5 the size. You could hardly call that 95% viewfinder magnification.

--
graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com