On Jun 28, 2006, at 2:53 PM, Toralf Lund wrote:

>> Now why in the world would you compare an f1.4 with an f2.0?
> I would compare a high-quality, sharp, high-resolution lens with
> another
> high-quality, sharp, high-resolution lens. Maximum aperture isn't
> everything.

I agree with Shel. If I were looking to compare pricing of equivalent
purchases, I'd look between lenses of similar speed. If I were
looking at performance, I might consider two lenses of different
speeds depending upon what I was looking for.

There are plenty of high-quality, sharp, high resolution lenses in
the world. I was contrasting the price of two 50mm f/1.4 lenses of
comparable performance.

>> Now a Pentax 50/2.0 can be had for $10.00  Summicron 50mm
>> lenses have sold used more in the neighborhood of $500 - $800
>> depending on
>> the exact model and condition.
>>
> Actually, some have sold for less. It think I've seen something
> like $300.

Some *ancient* Leica 50mm f/2 lenses (30-50 years old) have sold for
$300. But go to http://www.keh.com and look at Leica M Summicron-M
50mm f/2 lenses made in the past 25 years and I think you'll find
that the average USED price is around $800 apiece. A NEW price for
that lens is $1,450. Since I was comparing against NEW Pentax lens
prices, the price of a used example is irrelevant. AS is the price of
an f/2 lens compared to an f/1.4 lens in the context which I was
making the comparison.

> But we weren't discussing "a 1.4 lens". We were discussing a certain
> Pentax lens that someone said were almost as good as a much more
> expensive Leica in terms of sharpness, resolution etc.

That would be me. I compared the price of a Pentax FA50/1.4 with a
Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. The Pentax  holds up pretty damn
well for a lens that that is priced at less than 8% as much as the
Leica lens.

Godfrey