On Jun 29, 2006, at 12:33 PM, Ann Sanfedele wrote:

>> What I am curious about is that you seem comfortable enough with the
>> LX ... What makes the *ist DS so much more difficult to deal with? Or
>> do you not use the LX very much anymore either?
>
> It's the way the bells and whistles work and the existence
> of them  ...
> Objectively I see the following things wrong that I imagine
> anyone would be annoyed with
>
> (1) the battery is extra fragile because of the way it is
> constructed,
> (2) things that you might
> want to do quickly require getting into the menu and
> scrolling (like that on the PRO-1,
> too, but I've got the pattern in my head now )
> Ha - bet you are sorry you asked!

No. I find people's reactions to things very interesting.

Well, different strokes. Personally, I find the Pentax DS very much
alike to my old Nikon FM/FE2 and use it in much the same way. Of
course, it has a lot more features which I use when it seems
appropriate, but overall I just take pictures with it and consider
the SD card the equivalent of film, only I don't have to do film
processing. Photoshop and the Epson printer operate as I used a
darkroom in eons gone past ... only the results are better but I'll
leave that argument to others to natter over ;-) ... Never could
stand what photofinishers did with my photos so that option was never
acceptable for me.

I never read the warnings in the manuals and so far have not
destroyed either of the bodies. Nor found them unresponsive in the
same conditions I used all my other cameras over the years so I don't
know what all the warnings in the manuals are all about. Yet more
evidence of a deranged society's need for abundant over-
protectivisms, I suspect.

Curious that you focus on the battery door so much. I've not found it
to be fragile at all. With 16,000+ exposures on two DS bodies,
swapping NiMH batteries out every week for charging most of the time,
I've certainly exercised the door quite a bit on both and it doesn't
seem to be having any problems that I can tell.

Once you have a DS set up the way you want, you almost never need to
go into the main menu to do anything. It would be nice if the meter
pattern selector and focus mode selector was in the Fn menus like the
ISO and drive modes, but I hardly ever change the settings anymore.
Most of what I touch is
   - the exposure mode selector for Tv-Av-M,
   - the aperture-shutter-exposure comp thumbwheel and button,
   - the Fn menu for ISO setting,
   - and the AF-MF switch
(at which point I also use the lens' focusing ring in MF mode). Seems
pretty close to what my film cameras had except for the AF-MF switch.

Personally, I prefer ring-operated zooms, push-pull zoom controls are
difficult to use with precision. But I rarely use zoom lenses anyway,
I have three but only really use one of them (the FA20-35) with any
frequency. I usually just set a focal length and then start framing
and shooting ... in other words, it's like having four primes in one
lens.

Anyway, you like and want what you like and want. "No matter where
you go, there you are." Enjoy the Pro-1 and don't worry about it.