Hmm ... I didn't see the original post.  I've a script that will do just
that as well as add a border to the image.  I always use the border, so I'm
not sure if the script can be changed to eliminate it, or, if it can be
changed, if other aspects of the script will change.  It's been a while
since I've looked at it as there's been no need to do so for my purposes.
However, it takes a bit of work to change some of the parameters - not a
lot - so it's best if used often.  But ... if you have a few different
parameters that you use frequently, it's easy to set up several versions of
the script, such as changing border color and thickness, where the type
will be, and so on, and just run whichever one is appropriate for the
photo.  So, I have one for 72ppi, one for 100ppi, one for a wide black
border, one for a narrow black border, and likewise for a grey border.

Opacity is easy to adjust as the text goes on a separate, duplicate
background layer, and it's just a matter of adjusting the opacity slider.
I like this feature because each image may require that the opacity of my
copyright sig be changed depending on the color of the area beneath the sig.

So, Igor, if you want to try it, just give a yell.  In fact, anyone who's
interested can use the script.  Just send me an email off list.

The script has been tested to work in PS CS and PS CS2 in a Windows
environment.  It should work on a Mac as well, but I've not tested it.

I agree with Powell that time spent learning to create an action will be
well spent.

Shel